So i started working on it, and things went smoothly at the beginning thanks to my previous experience with Text FX, then some problems started showing up (the math, Python slowness, and all sort of performance and usability problems). I have recoded the system that manages the animation and the execution order at least 7 times.
After 4 months of hard work, i think the animation system is pretty usable but it needs more work to call it stable (mainly error handling).
I named it ANIMAX, because it animates a maximum number of objects with ease, the add-on takes advantage of Blender’s Grouping system to group the objects.
The animation is completely procedural, no need for keyframing (but it’s possible to add keyframes if needed).
ANIMAX offers 12 different effects with as few parameters as possible to avoid unnecessary complexity, and to boost the productivity. In the other hand the Custom mode is some sort of editor for creating custom effects.
Lastly the UI, i tried to make it pretty and self explanatory, for a good user experience.
DON’T GET TOO EXCITED
Because a lot of work is left to be done, so it will not be finished before ~8 weeks from now (my estimation).
Good question! Here is my to do list:
- Adding error handling (make it smarter).
- Adding some tools for shattering/splitting the objects, i will not reinvent the wheel, i will just use the existing Blender tools like particles and modifiers…
- Baking: converting the procedurale animation to keyframes (i can borrow some code from Text FX ).
- Save/Load custom effects: for sharing and reuse.
- Copy and paste the parameters of the effects.
- Improve the performance if possible (I love Python despite its slowness).
- Custom objects sorting based on the manual selection.
- Adding more effects.
- Writing the documentation and filling the Tooltips (the boring part).